- Indignant Heart and Charles Denby's self-development as worker-editor
- McKibben's "The End of Nature"
- Women's freedom, the religion of the oppressors, and the religion of the oppressed: Sharia law, the Catholic hierarchy, and the Religious Right
- Chinua Achebe (1930-2013) and his legacy
- Reading Marx’s Critique of the Gotha Program
- After the election: How do we oppose Trump’s fascism and move forward?
Monthly Archives: April 2011
To mark the 25th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear accident, I’m posting two pieces. Below is a talk I gave in Memphis, Tennessee, on the tenth anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster, which I think speaks directly to today’s situation, especially … Continue reading
To mark the 25th anniversary of the Chernobyl accident, I’m reproducing an article I wrote about it in the April 1992 issue of News & Letters. Watch this space for a related post in the next couple of days. Does … Continue reading
From the March-April 2011 issue of News & Letters: World in View: Greek youth continue the struggle Once again demonstrators took to the street in Athens–the first general strike of the year–against the austerity drive of the Greek “socialist” government. … Continue reading
From the March-April 2011 issue of News & Letters: World in View: Famine in North Korea by Gerry Emmett North Korea is approaching another famine with reports of 50% to 80% of the barley and wheat harvest wiped out by … Continue reading
From the March-April 2011 issue of News & Letters: World in View: No to ‘bunga-bunga’! by Gerry Emmett Hundreds of thousands of Italian women took to the streets Feb. 13 to protest President Silvio Berlusconi’s sexist and absurd political culture … Continue reading